By Haley Ausserer
Eucalyptus is one of the most beloved and widely used essential oils. Therapeutically versatile, it can be used for:
– Opening and deepening your breath
– Boosting your immunity
– Enhancing the efficiency of your homemade cleaning products
– Clearing and energizing your mind, improving concentration
– Balancing your emotions
– Repelling insects
Eucalyptus is native to Australia and Tasmania, where its leaves were often smoked as a home remedy for difficult breathing.
Which Variety Is Right For You?
There are over 900 different species, with at least 500 producing essential oil. Floracopeia offers several different varieties of eucalyptus essential oil. They have similar therapeutic functions; the primary difference is in scent profile. You can use them interchangeably, or blend them together.
Eucalyptus Globulus (Organic, South Africa)
- This blue gum eucalyptus is classic, pleasant, and warmly uplifting in profile
- The most commonly used variety of eucalyptus worldwide
- Often used therapeutically because of its high (70% - 85%) eucalyptol content
Eucalyptus Radiata (Organic, Australia)
- This narrow leaf eucalyptus is distinguished by a crisp, clean, herbaceous fragrance
- A cooling and easily assimilated variety, particularly good for clear breathing
- Rich in cineoles, it is considered the most therapeutically versatile of all eucalyptus oils
Lemon-Scented Eucalyptus (Organic, India)
- A light, brightening, and refreshing lemon-scented oil with sweet citronella notes
- Brings an energizing citrus sweetness to aromatherapy that is quite different from eucalyptus’ typical penetrating fragrance
Eucalyptus Dives (Organic, South Africa)
- “Peppermint eucalyptus” is a natural support for deep and clear breathing
- Robust, cooling, and clear—adds an unexpected layer of minty brightness
- A blend of five eucalyptus oil species: globulus, radiata, smithii, dives, and citriodora
- Uniquely formulated for therapeutic versatility
- The sharp pungency of this blend, tempered by intricate notes of lemon and rose, hosts an unparalleled complement of aromatic and therapeutic qualities
Ways to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Diffuse for Immunity and Breathing
Diffuse eucalyptus oil in your home whenever you or your children are congested, or to keep the air fresh and clean. Try blending it with other oils like Himalayan mint, silver fir, rosemary, or juniper berry. Also, adding eucalyptus to your diffuser blends can balance too much sweetness from florals or citrus.
Simple Air Freshener
Add a few drops to water in a spray bottle to reduce pet odors and freshen the air.
Delight Your Senses
Sprinkle a few drops on the floor of your shower and let the aromatic steam revive and uplift your mood.
Massage Oil to Soothe Tired Muscles
Add 4 drops ginger oil, 6 drops helichrysum oil, and 6 drops eucalyptus oil and 2 drops birch oil to 30ml of marula or other carrier oil. Massage into your skin to comfort in the muscles and joints.
Wintertime Facial Steam
Add 2 drops pine oil, 2 drops eucalyptus oil, 2 drops lemon oil, 2 drops rosemary oil, 1 drop thyme oil to a bowl of steaming water. Cover your head with a towel and, keeping your face about 8-12 inches above the water, breathe slowly with your eyes closed for a few minutes.
Direct Palm Inhalation
Add one drop eucalyptus oil to your palm. Rub hands together, cup over your nose and mouth, and breathe deeply to clear the mind and uplift the mood.
Natural Bug Spray
Mix 8 drops lemongrass oil, 8 drops palo santo oil, 4 drops pinon pine oil, 8 drops eucalyptus oil, and 4 drops Himalayan mint with 4 oz. water in a spray bottle. Shake and spray to repel bugs and soothe bites.