Ever wonder which botanicals and essential oils are best for healthy, shiny hair?
If you make it a point to care for your hair and body with botanicals that are pure, organic, preservative-free, ethically and sustainably sourced, vegan, never tested on animals (or if you’re ready to get more serious about natural hair and body care!)…
Today we’re sharing five essential oils that are nourishing and vitalizing for natural, radiant hair — plus our top two carrier oils AND a DIY recipe to make your own hair and scalp formula.
We love sharing the highest quality botanical treasures that bring you beauty, harmony, and healing, so we hope you learn tons from this list and take away resources and inspiration to nourish both your hair and your spirit.
Our Top 5 Picks: Essential Oils for Hair Repair
Lavender oil is the world’s most popular essential oil for good reason — its relaxing and uplifting effects have been cherished around the world for thousands of years. In addition to its sweet, lush aroma, it’s great for scalp health. Its wide spectrum of benefits include anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Add a drop or two to your shampoo and you’ll understand why we refer to this organically-grown lavender as a “Kashmiri jewel.”
Beloved for its bright, invigorating scent, peppermint is great to add to your hair care routine as it nourishes and balances a dull, oily scalp. It stimulates circulation, and because of its high menthol content, it’s crucial to dilute it well. (Don’t miss Must-Use Carrier Oils for Hair Repair below!) Add a few drops to a non-greasy carrier oil like jojoba and feel your scalp tingle with vibrance.
Rosemary essential oil is helpful for stimulating thin and lifeless hair and restoring vibrant color and shine. Just add several drops to your favorite shampoo and conditioner for increased luster. Rosemary is known to improve cell regeneration, and the gentle verbenone variety is revered for its stimulating properties that benefit not only hair and skin, but joints, respiratory, and nervous systems too. Blend a few drops with a carrier oil (do not use undiluted).
Ancient Egyptians used cedarwood oil for cosmetics and perfumery because it has an affinity for the hair and skin — it helps remove lodged toxins and is a good cleanser and stimulant for adding back shine to your hair. Known for its warm scent that’s soothing to the mind, this delicious oil (ours is wild harvested!) is a true tree nectar, and it’s helpful for balancing oil production in the scalp. Add several drops to half an ounce of jojoba oil and massage the mixture into your hair and scalp to relieve itchiness or dryness.
Super cleansing and supremely purifying, Australian tea tree oil is spicy, camphoraceous, and it’s an important oil for restoring healthy hair when properly diluted. It can also help open hair follicles to let in moisture and nutrients from complementary botanicals like lavender and cedar. It offers great benefits as a scalp cleanser, but can irritate your skin if you apply it directly, so add a few drops to your favorite shampoo, or mix up your own Hair and Scalp Formula (recipe below!).
Top 2 Must-Use Carrier Oils for Hair Repair
When applied directly to the skin (undiluted, or “neat”), many essential oils can cause irritation. That’s why it’s important to use essential oils safely and effectively, and to blend these highly concentrated powerhouses with a carrier oil. The two best carrier oils for hair repair are:
- Organic Argan Oil — Easily absorbed by your hair, argan oil is a lightweight, supremely moisturizing, nourishing, and nutrient-rich oil. Prized for its ability to smooth and restore dry, damaged, and lifeless hair, it’s really a head-to-toe multitasker because it’s as beneficial for your skin as it is for your tresses. (You can actually use it to nurture your entire body in place of your moisturizer!) Use it as a carrier for essential oils, or as a standalone soothing salve for an itchy scalp. Relax while it soaks in (you can leave it on overnight), then wash your hair and note the fresh bounce and shine. Our organic, cold-pressed, handcrafted argan oil comes to you directly from a women’s cooperative in Morocco.
- Organic Jojoba Oil — Jojoba is highly restorative as a carrier oil that cleanses your scalp pores and balances the skin of your scalp, while moisturizing your hair. It contains many nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to keep your hair soft and smooth, and because it’s actually a liquid plant wax and not a typical vegetable oil, it won’t make your hair greasy! Use it as a carrier oil for hair-nourishing essential oils, or on its own as a vitalizing styling product: Rub just a drop or two between your palms, and then smooth over dry or flyaway ends to manage frizzy, dry, or lackluster hair. You can also boost your hair care routine by adding a nickel-sized amount to your favorite conditioner for extra soft and shiny hair.
Make Your Own Hair and Scalp Formula (DIY Recipe)!
It’s easy to whip up a DIY hair and scalp formula with the top essential oils for healthy, silky hair. Make this simple recipe and keep it on your bathroom counter for daily use to smooth frizz, or for nightly use as a restorative tonic.
In a glass jar with a dropper top, combine:
- 8 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops cedar essential oil
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
- 30 mL of jojoba oil
Want to enhance the restorative power of this formula even further? Add 10% argan oil to bring in extra moisturizing nurturance. Use the dropper to apply your formula and massage it into your scalp and hair. You can rinse it out after letting it soak in for about 20 minutes, or leave it on overnight for a nourishing, complete head treatment.
25% Off Organic Botanicals for Your Skin, Hair & Spirit!
Right now, you can get each of our haircare offerings, along with ALL of our skincare products, for 25% off. (Our SkinAlchemy Mist is great for hair too, helping improve the cellular regeneration of your scalp, while smelling great on your hair!)
Just use this code at checkout: NOURISH25
This sale ends Friday, July 31, so head over and claim your favorites now!